Vintage Dress - Butterick 4050

butterick 4050

A few days ago, I was mumbling, to a friend of mine, about how I need to update the blog. She asked me what I would like to accomplish by having a blog like this. Truthfully, I didn't really have an answer. I consider myself an occasional blogger. I don't allocate specific time to write and to post my entries. I just do it whenever I'm free, and, truthfully, whenever I feel like it. This might be counterproductive in terms of building followers. But one good thing is I don't feel pressured to do it. I do have this dream of creating and selling my own sewing patterns one day, but that's a long way off. I'm still struggling to understand patterns. For now, polishing up my sewing skills is my priority. 

I finished this dress more than a week ago. This is a 1960's pattern from Butterick. Although it was only available in size 1, the chest/breast and waist measurements fit Sarah, so I went ahead and purchased it from Etsy. I think it fits her nicely despite being a few inches above her knees. The sleeves are also a tad too short on her, which should be expected, considering she's going to  be three soon. The pattern itself is easy to understand. What made it hard was my choice of fabric. 

This was my first time working with plaid fabric. I bought this fabric when it was on sale for $1.99/yard from Denver Fabrics. Except for the yokes, front pieces, and back pieces, I was not able to match the plaids on this dress. It took me forever to play this matching game. For the front band, I decided to cut it on the bias to create visual interest, and to save me from more plaid matching. Those were the same reasons why I chose black cotton sateen for the collar.   

cats 3.jpg

"Before" Picture: The 1" cuff specified in the pattern is too wide for my liking. I used black cotton sateen for the cuff and ended up not liking it. The interfacing I used on the already-thick fabric made it too stiff. I didn't account for that when I applied the interfacing. I followed the pattern's instructions for sewing the sleeve placket. I think I did "ok" with it, but it was a little bit difficult for me to understand the directions.

"After" Picture: I reduced the width of the cuff to 5/8". I used the plaid fabric and applied the interfacing. The result is so much better. For the placket, I used the continuous bound technique, which I think is easier. Here are some links on how to apply the technique:

For a pop of color, I used yellow thread for top-stitching the cuffs, the front band, and the collar. 

NOTE:

  • Type: Dress
  • Pattern: Vintage 1960s Butterick 4050, View A
  • Size: 1 (Chest/Breast: 20")
  • Date Started: Oct 11, 2014
  • Date Completed: Nov 9, 2014
  • Skills: Cutting, Marking, Basting, Gathering, Peter Pan Collar, Button Front Opening, Sleeve Plackets, Sleeve Cuffs, Button Holes, Slip-Stitching.
  • Fabric: Denver Fabrics
cats 4.jpg

1. Ivory/Taupe Plaid Crinkled Gauze from Denver Fabrics 2. Black Cotton Sateen from Jo-Ann Fabrics