This is the third project that I did in my sewing class. It took me a really long time to finish it. I started it way before I knew I was pregnant with Sarah. It was actually meant for my friend's daughter as a birthday gift, but I did not finish it on time. I have to admit that it was actually a pretty ambitious project for a total beginner like me. I cannot remember how many times I got frustrated with it and felt like tossing it aside. Eventually I did complete it - almost a year later.
The pattern is McCall's M5791. I had to choose from a long list of patterns that was provided by my sewing instructor and I decided on this one. I like how it looked on the model. Yet I chose view F just because it has sleeves and there is a ribbon to it.
The pattern sizes range from S to XL. I made the dress in size M. When Sarah first wore it, she was one month shy from her first birthday. I'd say it fit her rather well.
I also made matching panties to go with the dress. The pattern uses bias tape to form casings for the elastics that go around the leg edges. I did exactly that but I don't really like the way they turned out. I would rather fold the main fabric to form the casings.
Six months later and a few inches taller. She could still wear the dress but the skirt part was slightly above her knees. Now she's two and although she can still wear it (barely), I think it's time to make her a new one soon. I was skeptical before I bought the pattern. As I mentioned before, I love the way it looks and that was basically why I bought it. But I do remember the time I was standing at Joann next to the pattern drawers, trying to read the pattern instructions. I felt like I had a pattern panic attack! It was rather intimidating trying to figure out what all those hieroglyphics were. Anyway, I'm glad I chose this one. I love how it turned out.
1. Aqua & Green Floral by Keepsake Calico from Jo-Ann Fabrics 2. Dots Aqua & Grey by Keepsake Calico from Jo-Ann Fabrics 3. Light Blue Broadcloth from Jo-Ann Fabrics