A New Top

I've been admiring this top from Louise Misha for months since I first saw it on Pinterest. It's simple, cute, and looks so comfortable. Plus, mustard yellow is one of my favorite colors.  Unfortunately, it's out of stock, and  the price is way out of my budget. I decided a couple  of days ago to try to sew something similar to the top. 

Louise Misha - Top Diva Mustard  via:  Petit Backstage

Louise Misha - Top Diva Mustard

via: Petit Backstage

I took Sarah's measurements, and self-drafted the pattern based on the photos below. 

Here's the result. It isn't quite like what I wanted it to be. I would surely make a few tweaks if I were to make another one. I would at least partially line the top: either the bodice, the skirt part, or both, depending on the fabric used. For this top, I used gauze fabric in white, which is a little bit see through. I made the armholes a tad too big. That would definitely need to be adjusted. I finished the armholes with bias binding, but that makes them look a bit bulky instead of flowy. Next time, I would try to just hem them and see how that works.The neck part is also too wide. So I would alter that part too. 

The best part for me is the back closure.  No zipper or buttons whatsoever. Instead, I made a slit at the upper edge of center back, and finished it with bias tape. For each of the contrasting ties, I used store-bought black gingham bias tape, cut to my preferred length, sewed it into a tube, with one end closed. Then I stitched the open end of the ribbon tubes to each end of center-back neckline. Lastly, I attached bias binding around the neck. Overall, it was a fun process and I totally enjoyed it.

I took Sarah for a walk at a nearby park. There is a trail there that I recently discovered, and it has become one of my favorite places to go. Of course I had to take some pictures of Sarah in her new top there!